THE MITCHELL HOUSE at 900 W. Oliver St. in Owosso has been sold. This historic, four bedroom, 5,500 square foot landmark home, more recently owned by area industrialist Don Mitchell, has been for sale for about two years. Don’s widow, Metta Mitchell had lived there for a long time. After she passed, their son, William Mitchell, maintained the property until his death in 2014.
The home was built in 1920 and the area where the property is was even mentioned in James Oliver Curwood’s book titled “God’s Country and the Man.” The story refers to “Fred Woodard, who lived down the street from James and Abby and with whom Jim had become friends, advised him to build up on Oliver Street, where the moneyed people in town lived.” Fred and Martha Woodard owned the Oliver Street home for a period. The vintage photo of the jersey cows grazing with Memorial Hospital (Memorial Healthcare) in the background was taken from a vantage point behind the home in the 1920s.
The Mitchell house has been updated and altered over time, but many of the original finishes have been retained including an enormous Carrara marble fireplace that is part of a 1940s family room addition to the west.
The home arguably holds a centric position from Owosso’s golden, industrialist era. It has been confirmed by Realtor Deborah Henry of Tomie Raines, Inc. realtors from East Lansing the Mitchell home will remain a private residence. (Independent Photo/Karen Mead-Elford)