Due to COVID-19, events are rapidly changing and there may be updates or changes to the brush pickup program. The city of Owosso will update residents to any changes as they happen.
The city of Owosso’s brush pickup program begins Wednesday, April 29 and will continue on the last Wednesday of each month through Oct. 28. It is not necessary to call to register an address for pickup. The placing of brush curbside should not occur earlier than the Sunday evening prior to the monthly pickup commencement date.
Residents are urged to use the city of Owosso leaf/brush drop-off site located on Aiken Road (just south of Industrial Drive). Aiken Road will be open every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. until the end of the leaf season (usually the first Saturday in December). This service is for city residents only. Proof of city residency must be presented.
On April 29, DPW crews will begin to cover the entire city, moving along as brush volumes permit and recording each street as it is completed. No return trips will be permitted once DPW crews have completed brush pickup on a street. It may take several days for brush to be picked up in the entire city.
Brush Collection Rules
• Brush must be out to the curb by 7 a.m. on pickup day. No brush piles are to be placed at the curb before Sunday evening of the pickup week. Tickets may be issued.
• Brush must be no larger than three inches in diameter and no longer than eight feet long.
• Remove all roots, stumps and dirt.
• Place brush with the biggest cut end toward the curb – neatly stacked away from trees, sign posts, guide wires, fire hydrants and fences.
• Do not place brush on sidewalks or in the street.
• Do not place brush in alleys – it will not be picked up. Tickets may be issued.
• Piles not conforming may be left until corrected.
The following material will NOT be collected
• Brush cut or trimmed by contractors (persons hired by the property owners are responsible for disposal of material)
• Material cleared from lots or undeveloped property
• Material in boxes, bags or containers
• Yard waste and grass clippings
• Building materials of any kind
Brush is described as tree and shrubbery trimmings not exceeding three inches in diameter or eight feet in length. Brush will be removed at the curb on, or as close to, the brush pickup day as possible. It may take several days for brush to be picked up in the entire city.
Anyone with questions is asked to please call (989) 725-0550.