The editors at The Independent are inviting all area high school students (grades 9 through 12) to submit a creative story or poem for publication consideration in our special Thanksgiving edition. The following rules apply:
• One submission allowed per high school student attending Byron, Chesaning, Corunna, Durand, Laingsburg, Morrice, New Lothrop, Ovid-Elsie, Owosso or Perry schools.
• Submissions must be emailed to email@example.com by Tuesday, Nov. 13.
• The story/poem must not exceed 850 words and must include a title and be correctly identified with the full name of the author, grade, school and contact information.
• The story must be about a holiday experience (fictional or real) related to Shiawassee County or within The Independent circulation area. (Examples: the Chesaning Candlelight Walk, Christmas at the Durand Depot, the Owosso Glow Parade, etc.)
• All writers/authors must have parental/guardian approval.
• Submission does not guarantee publication. The editors will read every story/poem submitted. All editorial content (including photographs and art) is published under the discretion of the editors. Content is proofread and modified accordingly.
• Have fun and be creative!