THE PIPER BREWER HOME is situated on W. Oliver Street, Owosso, and was built in 1886, probably from brick from the Frieseke Brickyard. The house was built as a set of twins, or identical homes constructed side-by-side, but due to a chimney fire in 1909 at the neighboring “twin” home (Bentley Home), that house was enlarged and stylistically altered. The homes appear quite different from each other today.

   Eugene S. Brewer, Jr. and his wife, Margery, purchased the house in 1951. Today, their daughter, Piper, owns the 131-year old house.

   Other buildings on the tour included the Gould House, the John and Barb Shaffer Home on W. Oliver Street, Christ Episcopal Church, Curwood Castle, and more.

   The David Vaughn Home, on W. Oliver Street beside the Shiawassee River, was the only Mid-century Modern home open for visitors. Three metal sculptures by Eddie Louch can be viewed from the gardens in front of the Vaughn house.

   The Owosso Historic Home Tour is organized by the Owosso Historical Commission and the Shiawassee Arts Center. The Shiawassee Convention & Visitors Bureau sponsored the 2017 event. More information may be found at www.owossohistory.org or www.shiawasseearts.org.

(Independent Photo/Karen Mead-Elford)

The Owosso Historic Home Tour was last modified: September 25th, 2017 by Karen Elford