THE NEW historical marker for the Argentine Township Cemetery. (Independent Photo/GRAHAM STURGEON)
The Argentine Historical Commission (AHC), with the help of the State of Michigan, dedicated a new historical marker commemorating the seven original families buried in the 177-year-old cemetery on Silver Lake Road.
AHC President Beth Carr informed the roughly 75 people attending the Aug. 15 ceremony that over 600 people are buried in the cemetery, including 11 people who were born before 1800. The dedication included a posting of colors by the Linden VFW, the presentation of the marker by Michigan Historical Commission Commissioner Kimberly Johnson, a proclamation read on behalf of Michigan Senator Ken Horn and a patriotic tribute from the nine-piece Gaines Community Band.
The seven founding families include the Whiteheads, Murrays, Lobdells, Sutherlands, Algers, Lahrings and McCaslins. Byron Department of Public Works Director Mike Granger, a descendent of the Whitehead family, installed the marker for the AHC.