Michigan State Fire Marshal Kevin Sehlmeyer is encouraging families to take a few simple safety precautions to lower fire risk and avoid burn injuries while celebrating Halloween. Keep it scary and keep it safe in flame-resistant costumes, trick-or-treat with flashlights or glow sticks, and use battery-operated candles at home and in the jack-o-lanterns to help ensure a safe Halloween.
“We do see an increase in burn-related injuries and home fires on Halloween, most commonly caused by unattended candles igniting costumes and decorations,” said Sehlmeyer. “Keep candles, matches, and lighters out of the reach of children. Always prepare for the unexpected by having a working fire extinguisher and smoke alarms in the home.”
Decorations that include candles account for an average of 800 home fires annually across the country, causing nearly $4 million in direct property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association’s most recent statistics. Additionally, in the U.S., more than 100 people die each year as a result of their clothing becoming ignited. Sehlmeyer said following a few practical safety tips will help ensure a safe and fun Halloween:
- Plan costumes that are bright, reflective, and are labeled flame resistant or flame retardant. Avoid costumes with billowing fabric that can catch fire. Keep costumes short to avoid trips and falls.
- Use a non-toxic face paint rather than a mask that can block a child’s peripheral vision.
- Have the kids carry flashlights or glow sticks as part of their costumes.
- Trick-or-treat in groups; adults should go with children under 12 years old.
- Only go to houses that have the lights on and are welcoming; stay outside of houses when trick-or-treating.
- Remind the kids to cross only at crosswalks or corners and not dart between cars.
- Teach the kids how to “stop, drop, and roll” in case their costume was to catch fire, to smother the flames. Have the kids practice stopping immediately, dropping to the ground, covering their face with their hands, and rolling over and over to put the flames out.
- Don’t let children eat their candy until they get home and an adult has inspected it for any tampering. If in doubt, throw it out.
- Avoid using highly flammable decorations such as dried flowers, cornstalks, hay bales, and crepe paper near candles and open flames.
- Keep decorations away from any heat sources like candles, light bulbs, and heaters.
- Use only decorative lights that have been tested and certified for safety. Check lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. Discard damaged sets.
- Don’t overload electrical outlets or extension cords with holiday lighting or special effects.
- Keep exits clear of decorations, ensuring nothing blocks escape routes.
- Have two ways out of the home and practice exit drills should fire break out with your family.
- Have fresh batteries in your smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher in your home.
The Bureau of Fire Services wishes all a happy, fire-safe Halloween. Visit the Bureau of Fire Services website at www.michigan.gov/bfs for more fire safety information.